When and How to Use the Control Solution with the GKI Keto-Mojo Meter.
Testing with Control Solution
Why Perform Control Tests
Performing a control test lets you know that your meter and test strips are working properly to give reliable test results. You should perform a control test when:
- At least once a week
- When you open a new box of test strips
- When you want to check the meter and test strips
- If your test strips were stored in extreme temperature or humidity
- After cleaning your meter
- If you have dropped the meter
- If your test result does not seem accurate
About the Control Solution
- Only use Keto-MojoTM Glucose/Ketone Control Solutions (Normal or High) to practice on the system.
- The control solution results are not included in the average value calculation.
- All expiration dates are printed in Year-Month format. 2021-01 indicates January, 2021.
- Do not use control solution that is past the expiry date or discard date (the control solution will expire 6 months after the bottle is opened for the first time).
- Shake the bottle well before use.
- Close the bottle tightly after use.
Performing a Control Solution Test
- Remove a test strip from the test strip foil pouch.
Note: Check the expiration of the test strips. Do not use the expired test strip.
- Insert a test strip into the meter in the direction of the arrows.
- The meter turns on after a beep. An image of a test strip with a flashing blood droplet will appear letting you know the meter is ready to test.
- Shake the control solution bottle thoroughly. Squeeze the control solution bottle gently and discard the first drop. Squeeze out a second small drop on a clean nonabsorbent surface.
Note: Do not apply control solution to the test strip directly from the bottle.
- Immediately touch the tip of the test strip to the drop of control solution. The control solution is pulled into the test strip through the strip tip.
Note: If the control solution sample does not fill the check window, do not add a second drop. Discard the test strip and start over with a new test strip.
- Hold it in the drop until the meter beeps, and you see the meter begin to count down on the screen, after which your control test results will display.
Note: The meter will automatically recognize and mark the control result for you. Control results are not included in the 7, 14 and 30 day average calculation.
Understand Your Control Test Result
Compare your control test result with the ranges printed on the test strip box or label.
If your control test result is out of range:
- Check the expiration dates and discard dates of the test strip and control solution. Make sure that the control solution bottle has not been opened for
- more than 6 months. Discard any expired test strips or control solution.
- Confirm the temperature in which you are testing of Glucose control is between 10 and 40°C, and testing of Ketone control is between 15 and 40°C
- Make sure that the control solution bottle has been tightly capped.
- Make sure the test strip was used immediately after removing from the test strip foil pouch.
- Make sure the control solution was mixed well.
- Confirm that you are using Keto-MojoTM brand control solution.
- Make sure that you followed the test procedure correctly.
After checking all of the conditions listed above, repeat the control solution test with a new test strip. If your results still fall out of the range indicated on the test strip box or label, your meter or test strips may not be working properly. DO NOT use the system to test blood. Contact Keto-Mojo for further assistance.
To turn your meter off, just remove the test strip. Dispose of the used test strips as medical waste. The result will be automatically marked and stored in the meter memory. Control results will not be included in your blood Glucose averages.